Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

The Nightmare Affair

The Nightmare Affair - ****Also posted as a guest review over at Paranormalhaven.com****2.5 StarsA fun premise with a unique protagonist is what got me to pick up Mindee Arnett’s The Nightmare Affair. Dusty Everhart is a Nightmare. A mythical creature that feeds from peoples’ dreams, we meet Dusty as she’s breaking into a home of an old classmate, Eli Booker. As Dusty is going through Eli’s dream, she stumbles upon a classmate who has been murdered. When she panics and tries to escape the dream, she ends up waking up Eli and tries to use her magic on him only to discover that he’s immune. I’ve just described what happens in the first 3% of the book. The Nightmare Affair gets off to a quick start and pretty much never lets up. Because this appears to be the first book in the series, it gives you a lot of information, quickly and gracelessly. The info dumps happen frequently throughout the entire novel. Dusty attends Arkwell Academy, a school for the magically inclined, along with various other creatures that make appearances throughout the novel. The higher ups at Arkwell Academy inform Dusty that they think she is a dream-seer, that is, someone that has the ability to see the future through dreams because of what happened with her classmate, Eli Booker. Besides being her “partner” in Dusty’s dream-seeing abilities, he is also her resident crush. This I really did not understand. Besides Dusty salivating over Eli in his boxers, he doesn’t seem to have much of a personality. He spends a good portion of the book ignoring Dusty in favor of her siren classmate, Katrina. That being said, I did like Dusty. She comes across as a likeable protagonist. She doesn’t understand her abilities half the time, she has mom issues, and lets her impulsive nature get the better of her more often than not. While Dusty investigates Rosemary’s death, she meets another boy (yes! Of course!) named Paul who expresses interest in her. Dusty’s long absent mother, Moira, comes into the picture as well. Her mother, another Nightmare, is a pretty big deal within the magical world. She tries to protect Dusty by keeping her as ignorant as possible (I’ll never understand parents who think this is in the best interest of the child) but Dusty refuses to remain clueless and makes it clear to her mom that she isn’t going anywhere. This book had enormous potential. It has creativity, likeable characters, and a world I was very interested in reading about. However, there are so many info dumps and internal monologues that it took me out the story and bored me while I was reading. Too much telling and not enough showing. The Nightmare Affair has quite a bit to offer, but it also comes with some pretty big flaws as well. My rating 2.5