Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

Bloodlines the Indigo Spell (Bloodlines (Mead - Hardcover))

The Indigo Spell - Richelle Mead ****Review also posted over at Paranormalhaven.com as a guest review**** The Indigo Spell is the third book within Richelle Mead’s Bloodlines series. We follow Sydney Sage, an Alchemist, as she protects Jill Mastrano Dragomir at Amberwood Prep high school. I started reading the Vampire Academy series a few years back, but a big reason why I loved those books so much was because of entire supporting cast of characters. Quite a few of those supporting roles have a larger part to play in the Bloodlines series. Sydney is rudely awakened one night by her teacher, Ms. Terwilliger, and is taken out to the desert to practice magical spells. The teacher cryptically tells her that she’ll need the spells for her own protection, but before she is able to elaborate on her statement, Sydney has to leave to attend a Moroi wedding with her fellow Alchemists. To Sydney’s dismay, she discovers that she has to travel with Adrian Ivashkov. The Moroi vampire is in love with Sydney and she finds herself uncomfortably attracted to him as well. A big portion of The Indigo Spell deals with the relationship between Sydney and Adrian and I love the way that it’s handled. Sydney has to come to terms with her feelings for Adrian and dealing with her prejudiced thoughts regarding the Moroi. She knows what her duties are as an Alchemist and how those responsibilities conflict with how she feels about the vampire. In turn, we see Adrian grow up from the spoiled party boy that he was in the Vampire Academy series. I never liked the way Rose treated him in the previous books and am very glad he’s found a better match in Sydney. He’s considerate, thoughtful, and all his actions toward Sydney reflect that he cares profoundly for her. I do have a small bone to pick but it correlates to how this book was marketed. This, in turn, did affect how I read and interpreted the text. Marcus Finch is an ex-alchemist that Sydney locates by using a magical spell. On blogs and various social networks, there was a big hubbub about who Marcus Finch was and the role that he’s meant to play. Because of this, I was expecting his character to be a lot more than it actually was. He encourages Sydney to not take everything on face value when it comes to the Alchemists, but Sydney already does this. I never once believed that he was meant to come in as a late love interest partly because Sydney never reacts to him in that way, and just the sheer amount of page time that Sydney and Adrien get together. It wouldn’t have made much sense if his character tried to romance Sydney. So I felt a little hornswoggled when it came to all those “clues” about Marcus Finch. Much of the book is spent with Sydney and Adrien trying to track down Ms. Terwilliger’s sister, Veronica, who is absorbing magical energy from young girls and killing them in the process. The pacing is quite good, the relationship develops wonderfully, and I’m very eager to see what Richelle Mead has in store for Sydney, Adrien, Jill and the rest of the kids at Amberprep High School.