Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

Along Came Trouble: A Loveswept Contemporary Romance

Along Came Trouble - Ruthie Knox *****This is posted as a guest review over at Paranormalhaven.com*****As with many readers, my reading preferences often times will go in cycles. I’ve been reading a lot more contemporary romance within the last 6 months or so, and in that time, I’ve discovered some great stories by Ruthie Knox. She has a wonderful, contemporary voice in Romance, and I’m very much looking forward to reading more books by her in the future. Along Came Trouble is her latest within the Camelot series, and while I did enjoy the book overall, there were a few niggles that came to mind while I was reading.Ellen Callahan is a divorced, single mother who has her hands full with her job, her little one, and trying to keep the press off her lawn and out of her life. Her brother, Jamie, a well-known celebrity, hires a security firm to help install lights and an alarm on Ellen’s property to help keep prying eyes away from her and her son. Caleb Clark is contracted to do this work and they meet when he sees Ellen trying to shoo a photographer away from her house. When Caleb introduces himself and informs Ellen what he’s been hired to do, she flat out refuses him. I have to admit, there was a little confusion on my part. If you’re having trouble with strangers and the press coming around your house, why would you refuse to have someone help beef up the security in your own home? I’ll admit, I’m not a mom, but if I were, my first thought would their safety and I’d accept the help (albeit grudgingly or whatnot) that was being offered. Well, not offered really, since Ellen’s brother has hired the security company, but nonetheless, she keeps refusing Caleb.Caleb is a hero that many readers will love. Immensely patient, caring, warm, he comes off as a really great guy. Maybe too good. And therein lies the problem for me. While he struggles with being attracted to Ellen at first, he does give in soon enough. He is extremely patient with her hot and cold behavior, to the point of me becoming frustrated with his character for being so understanding. He comes off as too perfect, and for me, that’s a little boring, and not very fun to read about.Along with Jamie, Ellen’s brother, you meet Carly, Jamie’s ex, and Caleb’s sister Katie, whom I believe is featured in the next book if I’m not mistaken. I’ve read more than a few books where I could care absolutely less about the secondary characters in a story, but Ms. Knox’s novels aren’t among them. She has a gift for making side characters nuanced and fleshed out, and it does add to the story when you’re reading about Ellen and Caleb. As a side note, I’d just like to add that I flat out loved How to Misbehave, the novella that starts off the Camelot series. Ms. Knox does excellent novellas and stories, I was just a little less than enthralled with Along Came Trouble.My rating – 3.0