Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

Throne of Glass

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas *****Posted as a Guest Review over at ParanormalHaven.com**** On the whole, Throne of Glass was a mixed bag for me. We first meet Celaena Sardothien when she’s brought before the Crown Prince and offered her freedom in exchange for acting as the King’s Champion in a competition that’s being sponsored by the King to find a new assassin for his kingdom. Celaena accepts and is whisked off to Rifthold, where the competition to be the King’s Assassin is to be held. Under the watchful eye of the Captain of the Guard, Chaol Westfall, Celaena trains and improves her skills while carefully observing her other competitors. However, all is not what it seems. During the competition, several of the would-be champions come to a most gruesome end. Celaena must use all of her skills to stay alive and investigate the deaths of her fellow competitors. When I was first introduced to Celaena, I wasn’t a fan. She comes off as arrogant and antagonistic when we first see her meet the Crown Prince. Celaena is more interested in scoring verbal hits than taking stock of her surroundings. The attitude lessens as the book goes along, but I never bought that an assassin would ever be so careless with their words or as uninterested in the current surroundings as Celaena appeared to be. Truth be told, I liked Celaena best when she was not interacting with Dorian, the Crown Prince, or Chaol Westfall, Captain of the Guard. She forms a friendship with Princess Nehemia Ytger of Eyllew. How she interacts and befriends Nehemia was one of the best parts of the book. She wasn’t trying to impress her or keep the Princess at a distance, and Celaena’s natural compassion and friendliness does come across as organic and believable. You can sense Celaena’s loneliness on the page, and that helped with making me more sympathetic towards her character. I’m not a fan of the love triangle in just about any form, and this book is not the exception. Part of what bothered me with watching Celaena interact with both Prince Dorian and Captain Westfall is that she seemed to be two different people with each of the men. She warmed to Dorian a lot quicker than she did with Westfall and there was a big part of me that just wanted to take her aside and shake some sense into her. As a way to add conflict to the book, this was a fail. Celaena already has enough on her plate with trying to figure out who’s killing her fellow assassins and avoid being killed herself. Lest I leave you with the feeling I did not enjoy the book, I most certainly did. The book reads quickly. I like the author’s voice and should Sarah J. Maas pen another book that is outside of Celaena’s world, I would most definitely pick it up. If you’re still undecided, I know that there are prequels you can purchase. I did not purchase these and had no trouble picking up the story, but they might be beneficial to you if you wanted more backstory.