Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

The Burn Zone

The Burn Zone - James K. Decker 3.5 Stars - Won a copy through Goodreads First Reads.I normally don't read a lot of science fiction as a general rule, so take the review with a grain of salt. But the premise of the book sounded interesting, and I like reading out of my preferred genres every so often.The first 1/4 of the book was the hardest for me to get through. Part of this stems from setting up the world and getting introduced to the main characters, but it did read rather slow at first, even as the action got the characters moving.One of my biggest complaints with science fiction (and fantasy too for that matter) is often times certain details will take up to a paragraph to describe look, form, and function.. which is fine, but too often interferes with the flow of the narrative.I did enjoy Sam. She comes across as a very capable character that has had to deal with some very hard realities in her life. She's resilient, tough, but also has a softer maternal streak that you see when she's dealing with the haan infants.One quibble I did have is with the relationship between Sam and Dragan, her guardian. I understood that he pretty much rescued Sam from a pretty awful fate, but I never saw why she felt so much for him. I don't think that was illustrated very well. Very little was shown about why she felt the way she did and the extreme lengths she was willing to go to in order to rescue Dragan. The interaction between Sam and Nix were one of the best parts of the book. Sam moves from overt suspicion to wary acceptance and finally, to something that resembles friendship.Burn Zone managed to suck me in after I struggled with the first part of the book and left me wanting more. I'll definitely continue reading on with the series.