Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

And Then She Fell

And Then She Fell - Stephanie Laurens ****Posted as a guest review over at paranormalhaven.com***** I’ve had a long and somewhat tempestuous relationship with Stephanie Laurens’ Cynster novels. Some I have absolutely adored, and some have struck me as extremely tedious and long winded. I still have the books featuring Devil, Scandal, and Lucifer sitting on my shelves, having been re-read a few times throughout the years. When I read the brief blurb on Henrietta Cynster as the “Match-Breaker,” I admit to wanting to rekindle the magic I’ve felt when reading about the Cynsters.And Then She Fell is a pleasant offering, but not without its issues. Henrietta Cynster, 29 years of age, is known as the Ton’s “Match-Breaker”. She assists ladies wanting to know if their suitors truly want the match for love or another more insidious reason. She’s been recruited to help the young Miss Melinda Wentworth. James Glossup has been paying court to Melinda, and Henrietta finds that he has to marry in order to obtain funds from his aunt’s estate. After she breaks this news to Melinda, and James is undeniably frustrated that Henrietta has interfered with his path to the money. Henrietta then offers to help James find another candidate.Henrietta is a smart and capable heroine, and Glossup is suitable as the hero, but there was nothing notable or new in this book containing a cast of Cynsters. The dialogue is cute and at just over 370 pages, it’s actually quite a bit shorter than previous Cynster novels. My biggest disappointment was how swiftly James went from being calculating and methodical to suddenly deciding he wanted to win over Henrietta and have her love. It was very abrupt, and came across as pretty unbelievable. The three page (on the kindle) description of a waltz didn’t do much for the plot either. While I would not argue that the language is pretty, it does tend to run on about a lot of unimportant things. This does bog down the narrative somewhat. The subsequent romance between Henrietta and James takes place pretty quickly, in fact, it’s pretty much cemented before the halfway mark.There is also a suspense type element to the plot with mysterious attacks that keep happening to Henrietta. First she’s pushed into a stream, then her horse gets hit with a dart, and James pushes her out of the way of a heavy rock that falls where she was previously standing. To my mind, this part of the story didn’t really do anything for me. I would’ve much preferred a slow building romance that took its time with the few interesting side characters that grace the pages of And Then She Fell. While this wasn’t a tedious book by any means, I also didn’t experience the magic that I’ve felt with earlier Cynsters.