Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising
A Cursed Embrace - Cecy Robson 2.5 Stars****posted as a guest review over at Paranormalhaven.com***** I really did not enjoy the first book in the Weird Girl series, but since so many of my fellow bloggers and reviewers have raved about these books, I decided to give it another go. On the surface, it has everything that appeals to me, including a heroine with a strong sense of family and duty, action, and the attention of hot male leads that feature a vampire and an alpha wolf. Unfortunately, the pacing of the book and the clichés that pop up throughout the narrative have left it (and me) wanting.A Cursed Embrace gets off to a brisk start. Celia and her sisters discover the mutilated body of a wereraccoon on their property, only to have it explode soon after discovery. Something is attacking the weres and leaving the abdomens of women torn apart. Between having to sort out her feelings for Aric and deal with Misha at the same time, Celia definitely has her plate full. Truth be told, I’m not a fan of Celia at all. The way she references (and how many times she does it) her “Tigress” brings to mind an unfavorable comparison to a different book, in which the heroine references her “inner goddess”. She does this so often, that it makes me think of Celia and her Tigress as two different entities. She really doesn’t “embrace” (as the title may suggest) her heritage unless she’s in danger or protecting her family. It acts like a crutch. She only wants and embraces the Tigress at certain times, especially when she’s feeling insecure. And trust me, her insecurity shines throughout the entire book.Celia and her family are horrified to learn that demon children are killing various humans, and as Aric explains to her, they are the rare offspring of a human female and demon. While Celia, her sisters and their respective mates, investigate how the demons came to be, the relationship between Aric and Celia deepens. While I’d like to believe in the pairing of the two of them, it left me cold more often than not. Aric is often high handed and used to getting his own way. He dictates to Celia, keeps things from her, and holds back while Celia gives him her all. I was left wondering why Celia loved him at all. It happened a little too quickly, and with UF, I’ve become accustomed to watching a relationship cultivate between two people over multiple books, and this was just too much, too fast. The dynamic between the two of them borders on the melodramatic, especially at the end. While I could predict the end, especially as Misha makes it clear to Celia that he’d like to win her, it didn’t leave me thinking highly of either Celia or Aric.I’ve been pretty clear about what I’ve disliked, but I did very much enjoy the relationship between Celia and her sisters. To me, it was the best part of the book. Their banter, the way they interact – from them protecting one another to their teasing, the sisters’ actions were filled with love and affection. Unfortunately, it’s not enough to interest me in continuing on with the series. Although it’s not badly written, the voice, the characters, and various plot lines do nothing for me.