Readsalot81

My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising
The Collector - Victoria Scott ****posted as a guest review at paranormalhaven.com****As a reader and a reviewer, I’m torn when I love the premise of a book, but I really dislike the “voice.” It makes it hard to read on one hand, and hard to put down on the other. I found myself with this particular conundrum as I was reading Victoria Scott’s The Collector. It has a first person narrative, which I like, but Dante (our narrator) rubbed me the wrong way all throughout the book. Kudos to the author, though, for crafting such a person. I had a tough time reading the novel, and it did end up taking longer than usual for me to finish.Dante Walker is a Collector. His job is to collect Souls that are sealed. He died at 17 years old, and is currently working for Team Hell, or Boss Man, as Dante calls him. Seals are handed out while the person is being “bad”.. and the more seals you have, well the better your chances are to meet The Boss Man of the Underworld.Some of the language choice is a little perplexing to me. The narrator uses an odd mixture of slang and hyperbole and this comes across as rather jarring. He also will go into detail with describing someone’s actions and their subsequent meaning, and I felt this came across as more “telling” as opposed to “showing”. I know what a dirty look is, you don’t have to describe what they mean when they give you a nasty look. Many descriptions like the one I just mentioned happen in the book, and I found it pretty frustrating while reading through the novel.Dante is given an assignment to bring in Charlie Cooper, which is rather unusual, as Dante’s boss usually doesn’t target any one particular person. But being an obedient Collector, Dante goes ahead with his assignment. Charlie is Dante’s opposite. Cheery nature, optimistic, helpful, giving and so forth. When Dante first meets Charlie, he describes her as a porcelain doll that’s been hit with the ugly stick a few times. He’s definitely not a likeable hero, and his voice doesn’t really change throughout the book, although his outlook certainly does. That said, I wish I liked Charlie more, but she didn’t strike me as a very developed character. She certainly contrasts in comparison to Dante, but she’s definitely meant to do so. She never really questions Dante, and just takes his appearance (the first of which takes place in her bedroom) in her life at face value. Dante’s growth is slow in coming, and you really don’t know all that much about him until you’re about 2/3 of the way through the book.I wish I liked the book more. There are many creative ideas sprinkled throughout the book. Ms. Scott does an excellent job in creating a solid anti-hero, but certain writing tics and the hyperbole took away a lot of the enjoyment of the story and left me focusing on the writing.