The Lotus Palace
My Darkest Passion
Carolyn Jewel
Long Shot
Hanna Martine
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
George R.R. Martin
Valkyrie Rising

Damn It. Not Again.

Whispering Rock - Robyn Carr

I've tried Robyn Carr. I wasn't particularly impressed with her first book,Virgin River, as it moved at a snail's pace and character development was minimal at best.. but a lot of people like her books and I have been on a contemporary binge as of late. So when her first 3 came on sale at Amazon for $1.99, I bit the bullet and bought Whispering Rock.

Then at 2 % of the way in -

"She was assaulted sometime last night," Jack said. "Beaten. Raped."

This is a huge fucking trend in New Adult which I hate - and I'm finding more of this in contemporaries as well.

I'll be honest. I read primarily for pleasure and while I do appreciate having my world views challenged, reading about sexual assault is like putting salt on an open wound. At least for me.  I tend to have problems with the way many authors handle the subsequent recovery from the trauma..... and it seems to go to extremes - (Ie: not dating or seeing men for many years or bedding every man in sight -) I like when it's handled with nuance and sensitivity - and I don't run across that in most books that cover this topic.

Rant END.